Wednesday, March 30, 2011

CRITICAL COMMENTARY (3)

Dear Fellow Filipinos,

This will be my first address to you in this blog. I will be blunt as I do not enjoy sugarcoating much of the truth when it comes to matters of the nation because it affects me badly and because I know that it will affect future generations to come. It may appear a bit dictatorial, but I assure you I am merely expressing passion in my words.

I am deeply hurt that for countless years now our people are suffering from loss of cultural identity. When they are asked, "Who is the Filipino?" They can reply none but a stare, a smile and an attempt to an answer but then improbably give none. Why does this happen? Why?

I will tell you why. It is because we have allowed ourselves to be dominated that's why. But no more should this domination of the other beings take place in our country. Such submission to their presence only affirms their suspicious instincts that this country is one that they can easily invade through its culture. No more of this. In the written history of our country they have already taken the front seat when it is supposed to be us who is the subject of it and not them. How do I mean you say? Well, take for example the alleged "discovery of the Philippines". The Spaniards claim the fame for it when it is absolutely a figment of their imagination that they did. I take offense at this because they immediately did not recognize our native ancestors who have been residing over the islands for decades prior to their awareness of its existence. Another one? In our elementary schools when we are asked to memorize "our history", who's names are deemed significant? Majority of them are not our natives. Yes there are those who are Filipinos but they do not comprise a majority of the names. 

Why then did we accept this imposition of others upon us? Why? I believe that it is because of our people's kindheartedness and welcoming souls that lead to such taking advantage of the others. In sum, it is not purely our fault that we have been colonized. But i would like to make the stance and congratulate today;s generation for trying to impose a sense of nationalism among our lost-identity- generations. Though this may be a product of cultural fanaticism, I still commend it. It is one step toward the Indigenization of the Philippines.

Let me first state how I admire the Hawaiians for their assertiveness in preserving their culture. In the lecture class we had, the video clip showing the new generation of Hawaii natives trying to bring their culture to the tourists has brought me to the point of envy. Yes I envied them.  I envied them because even as they experienced a tragic fall in their indigenous population and a dramatic abusive past,  they were able to revive their past through the future generation. What they did was go within themselves and try to find who the Hawaiian is. It is for this reason that I think when they are asked "who is the Hawaiian", they are able to give a straight forward and confident answer accompanied with a strong sense of passion.

I would very much like to have this in the Philippines once more. Even if it is a far search into indigenizing from "within", it can work. Of course, I think that to be able to make that leap, the first step is to indigenize our country from "without" or using sources or works by the others in order to juxtapose our own. This step has already been taken by many of our historians such as Teodoro Agoncillo, Luis Dery and Virgilio Enriquez. The latter, Virgilio Enriquez has already taken the steps toward analyzing the Filipino psyche and come up with the commanding statement that "we should focus on our own voices and not the others' thoughts" as a way to make a propaganda against thecolonial mentality that has plagued this country.

I admire him for being blunt. He is the model from which I try to pattern out this address to you. And just as he challenges Filipinos to take history away from the hands of the others into their own, I challenge today's generation to make a stand. Do not make this found sense of nationalism a mere icon of popularr culture. It may have started out that way but it should not end that way. Take it to a higher and deeper level. Be the instrument of the Filipino culture and be the ones to bring the identity of the Filipino back. That way when you are asked by people of foreign culture, "Who is the Filipino?" Your answer will be a deep look to his eyes, a smile, and the words "I am the Filipino." accompanied by confidence and passion for your country.

Remember, A nation is only as strong as its roots are groounded to its heart.




If you wish to further strengthen your ideals of the Filipino, click on below and see how Virgilio Enriquez was able to do so.





No comments:

Post a Comment