Wednesday, March 30, 2011

CRITICAL ANALYSIS 2: Power in the Dining Table

The typical family has roles in it. In our family, the play of power is very evident most especially when the time comes for us to make decisions. Here is how it works:

My father is the one whom I think is the most respected decision maker amongst us. Although it is unspoken, the rule is somewhat to ask him for permission before asking our mother because he would ask for the specifics that are necessary. He is the one who seems to be the most balanced between him and my mother that he is able to earn a great degree of our respect. He struggles with making decisions with us during the times that we have “mixed up” schedules.

My mother is the one who seems to fill the typical roles of a mother. She tries to be able to give tips at times. They end up being helpful often, though the method she brings them to us is sometimes uncalled for. Most of the time she is the one whom convincing is hardest when it comes to permissions. I think this was brought about by her lack of experience in the events we ask her for permission to. She often states we should not do so because of the dangers and hazards these could bring us.  Though she s hard to convince, once all the necessary arrangements are given to her, she will allow us. But the problem is that often, there is the hesitation in her to actually give us the permission. Why there is is still beyond my understanding.

My sister is the one whom I am able to discuss my decisions with regard to any matters. I think this is because there is a more open relationship between us than between me and my parents. She is also the one I know the family considers to be the image of responsibility since often most of us are unable to fill some roles that she is able to.

The juxtaposition of power here comes in the dining area when we are able to sit down and discuss issues we see at the time. Often they are political and social issues. The manner of debating arises when my mother and father talk. My father wins most of the time. Although, there are times that my mother wins, but mostly it is because my father does not wish to go further into the discussion. A wise move, I think. My sister and I often join in the debate, but we withdraw on the account that my mother is already starting to raise her voice.

Power and respect here, as I see it, comes into play in familial relations whenever it is possible that the family member is unable to relate much with the other or when issues arise that differing ideas about them are perceived. It is difficult yes, but it is stimulating at the same time. I think that in this manner, such conflicts are ones that are able to strengthen our bonds and are able to boost our respect for one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment