Monday, February 21, 2011

Democracy and Football

After watching the Philippine Football Team beat it out with the Mongolian Blue Wolves a couple of weeks ago I would have to admit that my desire to cheer for a football team has begun. but in the course of this, I could not help but wonder why it was only now that this sport has come to take its popularity among Filipinos in the motherland. Being the fan that I have become of the Azkals, I came across this interesting video on the internet which tried to explain the rising phenomenon that is the Philippine Azkals. Much to my surprise that the video actually contained much more insight than I thought it would.

Seeing this video actually reminded me of what one of our school's varsity football players said just a year ago: "The Philippines is a football giant waiting to be awakened..." I could not agree more to his statement. It seemed that this sport was the perfect fit for what the Filipino is-- rather than basketball, which is a giant person's sport. And in a very interesting analogy, this choice of sport of the Filipino was compared to its people's political structure. In the video, it criticized the Filipino politics as it is without any pretenses. It compared the Filipino's impression of basketball with politics in that it forces what it knows to be democracy into a system that clearly needs another structure to develop itself.







No comments:

Post a Comment